Reader Advisory

Some articles posted in The SlickMaster's Files may contain themes, languages, and content which may neither appropriate nor appealing to certain readers. READER DISCRETION is advised.

Thursday, September 19, 2019

The Post-Traumatic Tour Experience

09/07/2019 12:10:23 PM



I have never been a concert guy, and the date 6 September 2019 marked as the only rarely time for me to see one as a guest/spectator/fan (for the first time in over 11 or 12 years for the international scale, I must say).

I always heard the name of Mike Shinoda since the obvious heydays of Linkin Park and Fort Minor in the 2000s. Being more of a fan of rap, Mike's works struck me for a while with of course, In The End, and Remember The Name being two of my personal all-time favorite songs.

Though still, I resigned myself to the reality that I may not be attending concerts of any of my favorite international music acts growing up – well, for a lot of reasons such as schedule, budget, and the overall benefit I might be having afterward. So many questions in my mind: will a huge live show help me win a battle over my personal demons, mend ties with certain people, get me out of my burnout, or am I simply getting worth my time and money? I actually tend to spend a lot of money, but I am also a very choosy, skeptical person.

Just a day before the concert, my girlfriend suddenly told me I may join them in watching Mike Shinoda's upcoming Post Traumatic tour. I admit I didn't expect that coming. Hell, I don't want to get my hopes too high, knowing that I'm not a huge fan (not even an “avid” type); plus I don't even know the type of pass I would get. For Chrissakes, I'm not even thinking of bringing my camera.

Still, it's better to come along than regret saying “no” for an answer.

As usual, Friday Night Cubao was on its liveliest self; which means it's that time of the week again when fans and VIP guests flocked the doors of New Frontier Theater. It doesn't look like a sold-out show at all, but around thousands of people showed up for an evening of rock and hip-hop.



Don Broco, the rock band from Bedford, England came up first on stage as a front act. I'm quite impressed by hearing them as a first-time listener. They're like an English version of pogi hard rockers who made everyone pumped up at the first hour of the show. Hey, you can even close your eyes and be amazed while listening to their performance.

Then came Mike Shinoda and his 22-song long set. Everyone was on their phones and I'm like... Yup, that blank. It's quite a norm – be it on a big-time concert or just a small-scaled bar gig, but man, I wouldn't dare myself to put my phone up right away – and that long. Can we just enjoy the fucking concert first, please?

Anyway, switching a gear back, Mike put up an amazing show. Everything was damn tight and loud and I'm quite surprised I didn't feel deaf despite placing myself somewhere in the front. It's just my legs were close to dead tired after standing for nearly three hours. 

Not only I was damn amazed at how Shinoda's trio made an eargasmic concert, but I'm also fucking mesmerized by the lights. Sure, some would say it's too bright during some few moments and
the spot missed Mike; but all-in-all, the illumination complimented the thunderous showcase.

It was an emotional ride too, especially when Mike played some Linkin Park songs on his keyboard; making everyone sing channel the inner the late Chester Bennington at their own respective rights. Such a short-yet-a tear-jerking grind.

Somehow, Mike's extravaganza in Manila changed a bit of my perspective in regards to preferences on music shows. It was a spectacle that made me crave to watch more live music programs soon – perhaps, on a yearly affair – and without being affiliated with either production or media. 

So now... maybe I should make a vow to myself that I would attend more often, eh?






P.S. Special thanks to Kel Fausto and Peter Tom Tolibas.

Author: slickmaster | © 2019 The SlickMaster's Files

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make a comment as long as it is within the bounds of the issue, and as long as you do it with decency. Thanks!