Reader Advisory

Some articles posted in The SlickMaster's Files may contain themes, languages, and content which may neither appropriate nor appealing to certain readers. READER DISCRETION is advised.

Thursday, March 26, 2015

Throwback: Phil Collins – You'll Be In My Heart (OST – Tarzan)

1/24/2015 5:23:00 PM


As a 90s baby, I grew up in selected hits by those Disney animated movies, like Elton John’s “Can You Feel the Love Tonight?” (The Lion King), Vanessa Williams’ “Colors of the Wind” (Pocahontas), and Christina Aguillera’s “Reflection” (Mulan).


Though as an old school lover, I’ve always be a fan of that pop crooner by the name of Phil Collins, from The Groovy kind of Love, one of those songs I regularly heard when Love Radio was then having their Love Sweep; as well as my all-time top favorite (and at the same time, one of my favesing-along piece) Another Day in Paradise; and the upbeat Easy Lover, which by the way was the soundtrack of the very first WWE WrestleMania held 1984 at the Madison Square Garden.

Well, I admit I never saw the entirety of Tarzan. But I recalled way back then, as I spotted that old Tarzan commercial which had excerpts of this track titled “You’re in my Heart.”


Perhaps, it sounds too romantic for a jungle-themed cartoon. But since I haven’t seen the flick, it’s too unfair to give such judgment.

But, yeah, it’s some kind of romantic theme in dramatic manner. Different from those typical love ballads you heard in the 90s. If divas used to belt high notes in the poppish side of life; if the rappers used to inflict slow jam in the rhythm and blues track for some lovin’; and if rockers took love in some kind of ‘alternative,’ this song is like some typical orchestrated soundtrack music along with mixture of nostalgic pop-and-alternative rock vibe (I swear Air Supply used to do love songs in this kind of manner).

And actually, nobody would have thought it was a totally a fast-paced track at all. It may not be the typical upbeat. But they’re loud to be considered medium either.

And Phil’s voice a fitting one. The ranges were there.

It’s not just about a typical romantic love though. It’s like something deeper, like friendship, or even being a parent or very caring companion.

Okay, you know what? If one day will come that I die, and obviously about to be laid to rest, perhaps I’ll pick this 1999 Collins’ ballad as one of those included in the funeral playlist.

Seriously.

Author: slickmaster | ©2015 september twenty-eight productions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make a comment as long as it is within the bounds of the issue, and as long as you do it with decency. Thanks!