Reader Advisory

Some articles posted in The SlickMaster's Files may contain themes, languages, and content which may neither appropriate nor appealing to certain readers. READER DISCRETION is advised.

Friday, September 13, 2013

Nostalgic Funk

09/08/2013  04:12 PM

I think we don't need a time machine (I mean literally) to travel back to the past. Why? 'Cause at present, there's this one thing that always reminds us of yesterday - and that is music.

Why did I say so?

Two of the chart-toppers on the mainstream pop culture do actually have a thing in common - they sounded old. Nah, not as old as your parents' age though. But I mean they sounds as f they were produced way back to either 70s or 80s.

Yes, just like the old days of disco funk. And I'm talking about Daft Punk's first single from their latest album, and another upbeat track from the Unorthodox Jukebox of Bruno Mars.

Daft Punk released an album entitled Random Access Memories; and their first single was a huge success. "Get Lucky" was co-written by the French dance duo and Nile Rodgers, one of the members of that disco fiasco group named Chic. Collaborating in execution of this music was Pharrell Williams, a four-decade old whiz whom also fronted the rap crew N.E.R.D. a few years back.


On another end, one of the tracks from Bruno Mars' latest album is labeled "Treasure." Plus, its music video gives everyone a resemblance of those mini-musical flicks from the 1970s.



As I listen to the mentioned tracks, well... I ended up raping the playback button. Both songs gave me that nostalgic feeling. Something that I have been wanting for so long, considering that most of the mainstream pop do consists of auto-tuned garbage, ill-advised talents and disturbing-themed lyrics.

The mere fact that Get Lucky is playing in my mind made me feel good as if it's a mixture of a bit of late-90s dance tune (something that Daft Punk's more known for) and a Chic track within my phonograph. And include that after-party aura right there. While Treasure was more kinda funkier; and it reminded me of guys like the Jackson 5, and Earth, Wind, and Fire… in both audio and video.

Well, they were both groovy. It can make you dance. Just as wow.

Can these two tracks served as a "rebirth" of disco music? The real genre that is suitable for night clubs? Well, let's see!


Author: slickmaster | (c) 2013 september twenty-eight productions

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make a comment as long as it is within the bounds of the issue, and as long as you do it with decency. Thanks!