Reader Advisory

Some articles posted in The SlickMaster's Files may contain themes, languages, and content which may neither appropriate nor appealing to certain readers. READER DISCRETION is advised.

Thursday, September 27, 2012

The love of doing video mixes.


It’s been two years when I last made a highlight reel video. I am talking about basketball here, by the way. Specifically, NBA. Way back then, doing some video editing is one of my favorite things that I used to do during my past time. And if I’m not mistaken, mixtape was one of the terms used as referring to a video showcasing a basketball highlight mix.

For years, I’ve seen a lot of them before in the video streaming site called YouTube. Whether it is a fan made or for the league’s promotional use; and for other leagues as well such as the local PBA or the famous streetball known as AND1. I remember owning a video compact disc of one of its volumes that my sister’s ex-boyfriend gave me.

Well, on that type of video you can see a lot of more than just a super-typical move. A shake-and-bake act called crossover, a circus-like lay-up, or a thunderous, or monstrous shot called dunk, or even a game-winning play with most of them were the so-called buzzer beaters.

For some people, they may be entertained by the way the video is executed. Camera angles, video effects and transitions and any other technicalities, you name it. Though at some aspect, it is more than just a beautification of each sequence. Like for some people, especially the players and those aspiring ones, seeing highlight reels like that can be a basketball 101 to them. They learn how to move like Kobe, LeBron, or any other superstar (or even an ordinary player) on a single play. So it’s like an infotainment, or information and entertainment in one. (Now I’m talking like Sports Science here, huh?)

Anyway, video editing is one of the things I learned even before I totally put my hand in pursuing a Mass Communications degree. Hence, it trigger to put more of my interest there, though it’s a self-study approach for me right there.

And so much for being a low-profile user, my personal computer can only afford a basic Movie Maker. And from there, it usually took me like 4 to 5 hours for an at least 3-and-a-half-minuter mixtape, from downloading the sources to rendering the project. At first, I received some good remarks. But then, I stopped doing that for public and if I made one, I made sure to put up a disclaimer. Because internet may be free, but let’s face it: we are subjective for copyright infringement, too.

So the only way to cope up with that is to either acknowleged your source, or to put up a disclaimer, claiming that the authorities of YouTube has a right to take the video down or alter the infringed part anytime as they wish once somebody flagged it out and proved that the uploader has a violation right there.

Anyway, that’s it. I just missed doing this stuff. Here I leave you with this last mixtape project that I made way back September 2010.


Author: slickmaster | Date: 09/27/2012 | Time: 10:56 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Feel free to make a comment as long as it is within the bounds of the issue, and as long as you do it with decency. Thanks!