Reader Advisory

Some articles posted in the blog site may contain themes and languages which may not be appropriate nor appealing to other readers.

READER DISCRETION is advised.

Sunday, November 6, 2011

Random things that rocked my college life – part 1


Random things that rocked my college life – part 1


Most of the people had I met told me that high school life was the best part of their school life. However, it’s their own opinion and no one can oppose that. But for me, I’ll say it is college. And I know it’s been sounding different in your ears? Now if you’re asking me WHY? I have a lot of reasons then, on and off-school wise.

I was studying at an exclusive school when I was in high school but I won’t tell a story on it. Let’s move back to 2007 instead. I was badly hurt when I ended up being an academic placement student-to-be at UST. I did not lose hope though. I tried the courses that applicable on my choices, so I picked Asian Literature as one of the 2 slots I filled in. on the other side, I took an entrance exam at CEU and made it eventually. It just came to my surprise, considering that I was about to bound to another college which I am not going to label this time. When things didn’t work out for me in my attempting to hit the former, I ended up in the latter, taking up the choice that I really want to pursue. But I have no hard feelings on the first one though. Who knows I might study again very soon and made it there this time? So, it’s a roller-coaster ride for me, considering I took different routes around U-Belt then as part of my first adventures and misadventures there.

Next in line, after I was officially enrolled at the school, it’s always been nice to look around like a newbie in the city. From there my social network got even wider as I met a lot of people from day 1 until the day I got my exit clearance. Not just in the virtual side, but I’m pertaining to reality as well. So, it’s PEOPLE. Why I did not labeled them as friends. Not because I had encountered an enemy for some time, but because they turned out to be the good ones also, though I didn’t move any closer to these guys like close friends. It’s still good. I mean we’re still in good terms. I have my own group of friends or barkada for some time in my life there.

The PERKS. Yes, in high school I did not have much of it. At first I was one of the few people whom I used to treat people for some time, but when my budget seems to suffer a major hit, they went on the rescue. It started on the later part of the first semester when I was in my first year and ended up ‘til I graduated. And I admit that frustrated me for some time. But these guys didn’t mind it much considering that I guess being a life-saver for them in their difficulties in subjects. More of that came when I was in 4th year, when I hanged out with my classmates-slash-thesis-group mates-slash-close-friends. I never expected things to be that way, considering making a research paper for the entire year costs a lot and I spent a little for that. And these guys, for I don’t know reason didn’t asked me to pay anything on it back. Lucky as it seems, huh? Same goes to my long-time college friend who wants to ask somebody to watch PBA Games at Araneta Coliseum. Just chilling out for like 3 hours. Though I have to admit that at some time of my life, I used to beg off from them because of my personal problems which I don’t really share to anyone of them.

At first I used to be the guy who comes home hurriedly after classes, but in my latter years, it turned out to be the other way around. Because of various reasons like the ones I mentioned a while ago, or a lot of commitments on my academics, I USED TO COME HOME LATE AT NIGHT and loved the habit amidst the dangers of the streets in the nighttime. Whether I’m off from my serious habits or drunk from a barkada session (obviously, drinking), I managed to come home like as late as 12 midnight and 2:30 a.m. as the very late time for me.
OVERNIGHT PRACTICES in my theater class was another addition to my list. I was a one-time actor in the subject then. And apparently, the group that I had turned out to be a set of friends for some time. REAL WORK enters the scene then.

Though at some time in my 3rd year life, I used to have LATE NIGHT HABITS. Like talking to one of my ka-barkada at the wee hours, and the next time around, another classmate hits the thread while I’m sleeping and I’ll just received a lot of notifications in Facebook that the (name of the person) and (name of another person) commented on your status. And the thread is so long that it appears like a conversation in an online chat. Not bad about it though.

Another late night experience though was when I’m with my group which was on the verge of finishing the requirements for the Television Production major subject. I went out as early as 2 p.m. to give my contributions and the next thing happened was reviewing the tapes (or discs, which is more applicable at that time) and making its teaser that unexpectedly ran for like more than a half-day. I had a different route on my way home, but still a convenient one. After all, I love adventures.


I managed to get at home at 5 in the morning the next day and had a less-than-90 minute nap. Then prepared myself for my 7 a.m. class which is obviously, I’m late this time. But didn’t stopped me from entering the class considering that I’m one of the few people whom had been running in the streets outside the school and inside the university just to submit the requirements in proper time. What a day it was for me! Despite the heat of that Saturday afternoon in March 6, 2010, we managed to make it to the finish. Jeez! Tiring but fulfilling at the moment.

The next week came and it’s the awarding of the Videofest, the showcase for us and our finals requirement at the same time. My crew had an award: Tied for the first runner-up in best documentary award. Well, at least the efforts did pay us off. And prior to that, I was approached by one of my college batch mates to do some preparations of the event. And I have to give my thanks to that fella, I go a better culmination at my junior life then. After the event, I ate for some time, and later on, my buddies from the other section (the one that I was first belonged into) asked me to join in their party. Since majority of them are my close friends, I gave a go-signal, bumping into the bayside of Manila (Harbour to be exact) and the mainstay on a super club at Eastwood. March 13 before used to be a mourning day for me as that was the night of that date when my favorite grandmother passed away, but later turned out to be good also because of winning.




But ADVERTISING subject turned out to be another roller-coaster ride for me. Actually, 1 of the 3 major adventures I had during my senior year. May pre-production meetings turned out be good times happened there (laughs) but we still managed to be serious at the time when we need to worked the most. From building the stall of the product we are advertising at Taytay, Rizal to the shooting of TVC at Manila. Just anywhere goes. Lucky for us though because advertising was my group’s main topic in our thesis. To the festivity itself, where it doesn’t really appears like a hell competition between the groups, the sections, and the campuses as well (we’re between 13-16 groups if I’m not mistaken, with from CEU Malolos and Makati schools joining the event named AdBest 2010) but it can’t be denied that winning the awards was definitely the best part of the game. I’m the assigned copywriter for the club and the time our group was called for the award, I was ecstatic, it hype me for the rest of the day. And in fact, I had my piece of winning share: a trophy of 2nd Runner-Up place for the best Radio Copywriter. Really, a piece of heaven for me!

Next part of this writing will be my other experiences and that includes what I used to be during off-school days, then. hope what I shared in this piece of my writing will make you understand why I loved college over all of my entire school days. Adios for now!

(postcript: all photos are courtesy of my Facebook account)

Author: n.d. a.k.a. nestor / slick master | Date: 11.04.2011 | Time: 12:30 p.m.
© 2011 september twenty-eight productions

1 comment:

Feel free to make a comment as long as it is within the bounds of the issue, and as long as you do it with decency. Thanks!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...